Pit and Fissure Sealants: Protecting Teeth in Ottawa
The pit and fissure of a tooth refer to the grooves found in molars and premolars. These grooves are often deep, making them tricky to clean and highly susceptible to decay. In fact, the majority of cavities in teeth originate in these grooves. Fortunately, there's a preventive solution: dental sealants. By applying a thin plastic coating to these grooves, we can help safeguard your teeth from decay and make them easier to maintain.
The process of applying sealants involves several steps to ensure effective protection:
- We begin by meticulously cleaning the tooth's surface.
- Cotton rolls are strategically placed on the sides of the teeth to maintain a dry environment, a crucial factor for sealant adherence.
- Next, we apply an Etch solution to the teeth. This solution is left on the tooth's surface for a brief period, after which we rinse and dry the tooth thoroughly. The Etch solution plays a pivotal role in cleaning out the deep grooves in preparation for the sealant.
- Once the tooth is prepped, we proceed to apply the sealant material into the grooves. This material is then hardened using our curing light.
- Finally, we inspect the sealant to ensure it has properly filled the grooves and created a smooth surface on the tooth.
While pit and fissure sealants cannot provide an absolute guarantee against future tooth decay, they significantly reduce the likelihood, especially in healthy teeth. To maintain this protection and keep your teeth safe from decay, it's crucial to uphold excellent oral hygiene practices. This includes regular brushing and flossing, maintaining a balanced diet, and scheduling routine dental and hygiene appointments.
Enhance Your Dental Health
At Bank Street Dentistry in Ottawa, we are committed to enhancing and preserving your dental health. Our skilled team, led by Dr. Nasrin Saba, is dedicated to providing you with top-notch preventive care, including pit and fissure sealants, to ensure your smile remains vibrant and healthy.
If you're interested in pit and fissure sealants or have questions about their benefits, don't hesitate to get in touch with us. Schedule an appointment today by calling 613-241-1010, and visit our conveniently located office at 1189 Bank Street in Ottawa, ON. Let's work together to protect your teeth and maintain your oral well-being.